Monday, October 26, 2009

Veggies or Windows or Doors?

What's a girl to write about when there are so many exciting things to say about veggies?















or windows?
















As you can see from the first photo, we managed to get a fair harvest off our tomatoes for the first time in a gadzillion years. I was reading Kitchen Garden, a British magazine and they have an ongoing feature on poly tunnels. This is when you take most of your yard and put it under a huge plastic framework, covered with ugly white tarping and grow fabulous veggies inside, all winter long. I must write in and ask if she gets snow or frost, or freezing temperatures. Somewhere in England they must get freezing temperatures. Think of how they cook root vegetables. That can only happen in cold climates. I dragged these tomato plants into the front hallway about mid-September and have harvested around 5 tomatoes, plum and ordinary, and Steve has cooked up two very fine bruschetta dishes. Well, he's an excellent cook anyways but having good tomatoes helps ever so much.

As a comparator, here are the tomatoes left on the driveway, close to where they spent the entire summer. Sad aren't they?















I am taking pity on them this afternoon and bringing them in to see if I can get them to join in the ripening fun.

Remember that little pumpkin that was so bold as to put itself on a pedestal? It is still pretty little. The vine is now wilting and the pumpkin, perhaps embarrassed about its journey into self-importance, has come down to the ground.















I don't think it will orange up in time for Hallowe'en. On the other hand, no one knows how that pumpkin arrived in the planter in the first place, so maybe it is it's final colour. Neat stripes. Maybe it is a squash of some sort? Any ideas?

Didn't you just love the window in the second photo? This is the window that had adults weeping in their sleeves. Why? Well you heard the story in my earlier rant about the evils of repair men and it wasn't so much this window that threw us all into a tizzy as much as the fact that new windows had to be inserted at all.















I Just Love This Window !















I lie on my bed and behold.















I sit in my brand new chair under my ridiculously frivolous light (courtesy of Cheryl)
and behold.

A lot of beholding going on in this room. Did you notice that little black thing under the window? This is courtesy of Linda, who has shed her shackles and purged her pockets and said, "Ain't no room in my land of liv'n for this baby." and so I received a little black electric fireplace. Much more useful than a little black dress, for those of you who like to shop. I have turned it on already a few times this fall and had a nice read, with toes up on the bed, cat in lap and a look at the beholden view and know contentment.

But the ultimate of ultimates, the finest of the fine, the zonkiest of zonks is the DOOR. The back door in the kitchen, plus it's partner the storm door. There must be a better word than behold, but I can't think of it in my excitement, so behold better than with the window.















Wasn't that worth it? Isn't that a divine door? Unpainted, true. No door knob, true. But can't you just see the back yard?








Don't you see the purple bench? Isn't it purple?






We keep walking into the kitchen and thinking, "Someone left the back door open." and no they didn't. But it completely works if that is what we are thinking. We can see out the wide open but truly closed back door. This will make such a difference in the months of February and March. I usually had my forehead frozen to the glass of the old door as I fumed and fussed for the days to stop being so grey. I don't care about the cold or the snow, but the greyness gets to me and now I will see the bird feeder, the wood of the trees, the poop of the calico cat as she does her level best to irritate all of those watching her and the greening of the garden as spring slumps in.

Now that the renovation man has left, I like him. He did do terrific work, he has great skills and when he was speaking with Steve, he was great. By the end, he was even joking with me about dogs being better than cats (rather a foolish topic of conversation since he obviously is wrong, but still he tried) and he was certainly cheerful when we paid him. And in the end, this door makes it all worthwhile. Too bad these things can't be achieved a little more free from pain and emotional scarring, but I guess that isn't part of our world right now. Maybe tomorrow Scarlet.

1 comment:

  1. The bedroom window looks like one at Goldilock's house..or maybe the The Three Bears?

    ReplyDelete