Monday, July 19, 2010

Food was Great in Grand Manaan


The chef at the Inn at Whale Cove, Laura Buckly, did a fantastic job. We had marvelous ravioli stuffed with whole scallops and a lovely sauce that I don't recall the details about. I was too busy swooning. The crab cake appetizers had a lime coulis or something that were equally divine. I know those of you who are food wheenies will say, “Can't she even remember a small detail like how the lime was part of the crab cakes?” Nope, too busy eating. Chocolate moose (I know it is spelled incorrectly but I can't find the right spelling on this spell check gizmo) with whip cream and we had a nice Pinot G. for wine. (Italian) (too busy drinking it)

Now because I have obviously failed in my attention to details, some of which I agree are important, let me clarify:

Foggy focused photographer is Ernest Cadegan at web site

http://www.ernestcadegan.com/

The marsh is really spelled Castalia (geeZe Steve)

The island is really (and I quote) “it's Manaan, not Mannan or Manan...” (Really geeze Steve)

One of the reasons these were spelled incorrectly was because when I asked Mr. G. Steve if he remembered, he was too busy playing his banjo to pay attention. (small domestic moment here folks) so I do apologize to all those who hold spelling near and dear to your hearts, unlike steam-rolling along me who loves spelling as a theory rather than a practice.

After crawling away from the dining table, we had to keep bending over to pick things off the floor to pack them up and lug them to the car, so we crashed early to the sounds of “Urrrrh....URrrrh....URrrrh” fondly known as the Swallowtail Fog Horn at the Swallowtail Lighthouse. We never saw it up close, it was too foggy. Good trip home because we had air conditioning for the first road trip ever. Amazing invention! Loved it.

Today I had to acknowledge that I do not have enough yarn to finish my road trip project.
and have had to do the unthinkable and buy yarn on the internet. I hate this. I want to see the colour with my own eyeballs and feel the texture and you know, toss it around a little bit to see if it really is the same yarn as I have been using and running out of. I went to the Louet site

http://www.louet.com/

where they have some yummy yarns and patterns. This yarns was purchased initially at Lettuce Yarn in Toronto

www.lettuceknit.com

and they were very willing to send me the same yarn but in a different colourway. This was an interesting idea because I could use it for the ruffled edge, but as you can see, I need to finish the last point on the body of the shawl before I can do the ruffle and that requires the original colour choice. This is a great no brainer project, very easy on the hands and very easy on time. My only suggestion, based on experience is that when a project says “two skeins of yarn” you don't say to yourself, “If I just use bigger needles, I can probably do it with one.” See above for results if you think this way.

This is the project I didn't take as a road trip project.

A sock knit from the toe up. The increases to get the sock to eventually head over the heel without splitting apart is increased not in the usual manner with stitches on either side of the heel section, but with a jillion stitches increased only on one side of the cable line. These will then be decreased where on a normal sock you would increase (reverse direction) but to just frig with the knitter's mind a little, a second cable is introduced on one side of these decreases and the cable work happens both on the front and the back. This is like looking in a mirror and doing that hand patting the head while doing a circle over the tummy and trying to make the image in the mirror do it clockwise while the person does it counter clock wise, all the while making your left foot step in and out. Try it.

See what I mean? Knitting a cable front and back is just a mean thing to tell knitters to do. I am going to stare at it for a day or two and see if it goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment