Monday, September 17, 2018

Urban Sketching

The camera didn't catch the glow from the Rowan berries/Mountain ash berries. Looking out my window, this tree is a real eye catcher, season after season.


Right now the Newfoundland Robins are having a huge party eating everything in sight. There are three plump fellas out there now and by the time the tree is bare of berries and leaves, there will be around 15 robins in the back yard. How they manage to fly with incredibly fat tummies is a mystery.

Last week was a very successful week but there aren't any images to show it. I managed to get back to writing twice a week, a full day each time. Hot Flash Woman is rising from the dusty shelves and I spent another whole day sorting out which publishers might want to receive which writing projects. I also managed (and this is the hardest part) to keep to my schedule. Weight lifting three times a week, Bee on Wed morning, writing two days a week, all my chores AND I washed the kitchen floor.

I belong to a local group called Urban Sketchers. Over the summer I was using two allotment gardens for my sketching inspiration. Others use the public spaces and architecture.

Link to  international Urban Sketchers (here)
Link to Halifax Urban Sketchers(here)

There will be an exhibition in October and I am putting in one piece. Luckily, the show isn't juried, so I can submit and not be refused. Isn't that nice for a change!


This is a view looking up the hill from the allotments at Gorsebrook Community Gardens.

And a close up.


This one is the inside of a dining room that is supplemental to the Lunnenburg School for the Arts. It isn't a true public space, since only students can access it by invitation.

As soon as my new credit card arrives, I can register for Karen Ruane's year long embroidery course. I usually get a lot of sketching and stitching done while watching the videos. I don't always participate in the class activities, but I love the conversation and the flickr group sharing.

This week's goals are to keep to the schedule, post a blog (check that one as done), prepare two textile pieces for another show that isn't juried, and mail off my chapter book for young readers to 6 (SIX) publishers. Go Me. And go You, with what ever you plan to do this week.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a busy schedule, Laureen. I was surprised that you too lift weights three times a week and was happy to hear that you will join us at a year long stitching and that you too washed your kitchen floor, like I did this morning .. lol

    Good luck with sending all your writings into the world, Laureen ... hopefully a publisher will say: YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth, it is always lovely to read your comments.

    ReplyDelete