Monday, February 13, 2017

Blizzard day one

Today the city of Halifax is shut down. The buses did not start this morning, the management did not want to strand people at work or elsewhere.





I haven't heard a snowplow go by for hours. I heard an ambulance in the distance a few moments ago. It must have been quite a challenge to get to the emergency and to get back to the hospital.



Steve is pushing out the front door. So much snow is coming down and wind is blowing it about that we have about two feet of snow blocking the front door and more blocking the back door. We've decided to try and keep the area where the door swings open cleared of snow. I suspect that will have to happen several times before this is over. Last year, when this happened, Steve had to tunnel out of our basement door, which opens inwards. We filled up the laundry tubs and several tote boxes with snow as he dug a tunnel.


The house is chilly, we have the thermostat turned down a bit so that the furnace doesn't have to struggle to keep up. Why? Because there is no way the oil truck can get a line to our oil tank until we clear a path. The path is about 40 feet away from the sidewalk and three feet deep in snow. It will take me a couple hours to clear that out, so I don't want to run out of oil.

I thought maybe I was exaggerating, but Steve just heaved himself back in and says the driveway, where a boat is stored, has drifted up to 8 feet high. The boat is mostly covered. OK, it might take me two days to get to the oil tank.

I have a few pictures of some Geli Plate Printing I did last week and that's all.






I have been sewing clothes and reading books. I volunteer at a homeless shelter and find it has tired me out a bit last week. I did a shift last night from 7:30 to 11:30 pm, we fed over 40 people, supplied at least 12 with food to tie them over because they can't get to the shelter with the buses not running. Those folks have someplace to crash for a couple of nights. Those who didn't have spent today in the church basement, drinking coffee, watching old videos and hopefully, staying warm. I'm glad I don't have to go tonight, the walking is killer. I'm glad I have a warm place to write this. Hope you are safe and warm wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope you have survived all that snow.
    I would like to inquire if you are enjoying Karen Ruane's online class as I have pondered signing on for her next.
    Being a fellow Canadian I know you'll give a thoughtful answer...
    You can contact me at sue54@bell.net.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete