Monday, December 17, 2018

Quest completed, stitching commences

In an amazing feat of daring-do, my friend Cheryl and I went to a home accessory shop and found everything in one place.


It wasn't until I wrote that sentence that I realized the true magnitude of it. I think most people love the hunt of finding house accessories, while I usually browse the curbside for peoples 'junk'. Having too many chairs, a table, a monstrous sink with metal drawers combination, and pieces of 'good' wood in the garage, I decided that linens and anything electric should be new.


Cheryl, who is an expert at finding what anyone is looking for was equally surprised. While we stared at the three twin size comforters on offer, we glanced into the sales bin and lo...the perfect quilt and pillow top. On to the curtains and bingo, Cheryl found lovely purple sheers and my attention was grabbed by a copper base lamp. Ka-ching, we were done. In under 20 minutes no less.

Off for a lunch of croissants and then there was enough time to get a couple of hours in the studio.

I will have to do a separate photo of the copper lamp next blog, it is just so gleam-y. The stack of boxes by the closet is one of those deferred decisions. They contain years of slides Steve took that he needed for teaching Architecture. The technology has changed so much they are completely obsolete, except as an archive. But those teaching years are coming to a close and the library is swamped with slides that need to be turned into digital images. Maybe slides will return to popular culture the way the vinyl records are? Maybe they are a retirement fund? In the meantime, there they sit.


I auditioned a couple of scraps of silk for the new hanky piece and pulled out the threads for the previous two.


I have several combinations I liked. The piece was in danger of being completely appliqued, but that would wreck the continuity of the group.


The little house at the top of the hill called and called to the orange piece of silk, so I had to listen.


Who wouldn't want to walk on a blue path?


Maybe this piece of applique should have been in the forefront, instead of the background? It was a bugger to get exactly in place, so it is a potential mistake I think I will live with.


I will rip it out if I must, but to do that, I need to hear a chorus of "rip it out, rip it out" from viewers.

Walking home from the gym in the rain this morning, I ran a couple of titles through my head.
"Achoo"
"Gazoont-height"
"3 sneezes"
I settled on "3 sneezes makes a wish"

No comments:

Post a Comment