Friday, October 7, 2011

Photo Essay of Pseudo Weaving postscript

All that loom preparation had to lead to some sort of weaving, no? And for a change, it did. I had warped this scarf before I learned about the pseudo warp method. I had originally intended that the scarf would be 100 inches long. I had warped an additional 32 inches for the waste that usually occurs. With the pseudo warp on, I wove and wove. The scarf turned out to be 91 inches long plus fringes. Perhaps a bit long, unless I decide to wrap it around my neck a couple of times. Since there is mohair in it, it will be very warm and snuggly on cold days.

Whenever I prepared a warp, I was always grumpy about the amount of lost threads. I would weave until there was barely a shed to get a shuttle through. That rarely worked well. With this pseudo warp, I was able to easily! weave until the knots came up close to the heddles.
Feeling smug...
I eased the knots through the heddles, and trimmed off the scarf where the pseudo and real warps were tied together.
Fun surprise! The knots didn't careen through the reed, but stayed nicely behind it.
I was then able to easily cut off the knots from the scarf's fringe.

If I had done two things, I would have been set up to tie on a second scarf warp.

What I didn't do was 1) make the pseudo warp long enough to come a good distance through the heddles - and the reed - and up to the breast beam. In other words, those very first threads should have been 32 inches plus another 24 inches or more, if I wanted to keep reusing it. 2) was not supporting the lath with the pseudo warp before trimming the scarf off. It all crashed down in the back, the heddles were un-threaded and now, not ready for a new scarf. Live and learn, as always.
And for those doubters, this is the final amount of waste from the project, the knots of the pseudo and real warp, plus...
the trimming from the set up process. Combine the two photos and we have less than 4 inches of waste from start to finish. I repeat - gloat in the savings.

1 comment: