Monday, December 4, 2017

A new shawl

That was a long 12 days away from home and hearth. Luckily, Steve took care the cat and the home and it wasn't so cold that the hearth fire was lit. After being in Toronto to assist my mom with several medical issues, I am back, the studio is clean, and I can begin, again.


While I was away, I managed to knit this lovely shawl for a friend.


The shawl isn't blocked, my friend is going to do that, since she needs it before I can do that task.The upper peak won't be there once it is blocked, it will be level and the peak at the bottom will be more pronounced. The pattern is 20 rows of stocking stitch, 10 rows of garter stitch and 20 repeats of (yarn over, knit two together) until the end of the row and purl back. There is an increase at the beginning and end of each row as well as an increase either side of the centre line. The pattern is from Ravelry (free) and is super easy. The yarn carries the day. However, I have decided that the thicker the yarn, the better the simple pattern shows up.


The first image shows the yarn as purple but this image is closer to the truth. It is a warm red with tiny flecks of a creamy-pink where the dye did not catch. It gives a lovely linen effect. Called Rosewood,the yarn is Rustic Lace by Ella Rae. It is a New Zealand wool and silk blend. It was purchased from Gaspereau Valley Fibres, http://www.gaspereauvalleyfibres.ca/ one of the two best yarn shops in Nova Scotia.

I knit this while in waiting rooms, subways and on couches waiting for very long days to end. It is soothing and the yarn really made this something to look forward to each day. I have hopes of returning to Gaspereau and buying some for a summer sweater. (here) The colour options are delicious.

So Glad To Be Home. SGTBH




No comments:

Post a Comment