Friday, July 27, 2018

Big Project Done

If you don't look closely in the dining room, where all the stuff that won't fit back into the studio is sitting, then I can say that the studio is done.


I am back at the table, working on little projects. Cleo Belle and I like to watch Karen Ruane's videos while working on these.


My son's friend from highschool has just had a baby. He is a big boy, the baby not the dad, and booties were not deemed useful. Instead, I decided to pull out an old pattern for a homely cat.


His name is Wobbles, he can do the splits and falls over really well. I like this cat a lot. I use left over sock yarns and scraps of wool or cotton for the tail and scarf. Wobbles is more homely than usual, his body length ran away from me and his arms a bit stubby. But how many of you know a discerning 3 week old?


About six weeks ago, at a gathering of women who work in textiles, the daughter of a friend of mine was fooling around with a paper bag and twisted a little doll shape into being. I was enchanted. I finally tried making one of my own. She is pretty little, a proto-type.

I cannot for the life of me remember the daughter's name. It will come to me tomorrow afternoon in the grocery store. She stitched some clothes for her doll out of other paper scraps and it was charming. I have 4 garbage bags full (just overflowing full) of fabric in the dining room and I wanted to stash bust. Reaching in, I found a 4 inch scrap and a 3 inch scrap. Stash busting success. I made a little top and skirt.


What I really like about projects like this is that I can scatter fabric and lace and buttons all over the place and let serendipity do the work. A little floral scrap made itself known and my mind was off, all ready to make another twisted doll. I am going to grab a bunch of bits, stuff them into a cookie tin and make a few of these while at the camp this month. That's why I like the little homely cat project too, I never know how the sock yarn will come out or how the cat will look in advance. A great way to let control go.

I will be at the camp for most of August. There is a cafe with internet in the village near us. A friend there keeps our spare ice packs frozen and we switch them around every 3 days. I can pop in and load up a blog, but don't expect and regularity until September. I hope that where ever you are, there is enough water, cooling breezes and cool drinks.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your holiday, Laureen and congrats with your new "office" .. :-)

    ReplyDelete