Monday, March 18, 2019

A snake in the garden

Upon waking one morning, a few weeks back, it came to me that the stitched piece I am working on needs a snake.


Sometimes a flash of an image just shows up, fully figured out. That is always a nice way to start the day.


It took several fabric auditions, but I finally settled on this blue tie. It has a distinctive right side and a nicely softened back.



A few variations of a snake were drawn out and this long, curvy one was the winner. I decide to keep its head inside the stitching, there was a nice sized opening.

I haven't any idea why a snake. No references to evil, genesis, micro-climates or ecosystems. Just a snake.

On the topic of snakey lines, I decided to make this top from Ottbre magazine.(here)




Ottobre is a Finnish magazine,with English text, specializing in women's and children's patterns. In this issue, the focus is for women and larger sized women. There are two centre-fold pages with the patterns printed on both sides.



The patterns have to be traced out, then cut out, then used as normal pattern pieces.



The instructions are in the middle of the magazine and are fairly good. I'll know better as I get sewing and actually follow them.


This little duo of sketches are being thought out so I can keep going once the snake of above is finished. I know the watering can will be red, but appliqued or stitched or maybe, in an act of madness, painted?


 It turns out I have been invited to join the allotment garden where these sketches were made. Hurrah! Hopefully more sketches will happen in the warmer months.


No comments:

Post a Comment